Last night, Blakely and I cooked dinner for D and tried out a new recipe. We made some slight adjustments to it and I can’t imagine it any other way.
- 1 lb (2) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, halved and divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 large white corn tortillas
- 3 cups salsa verde
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco
- taco seasoning
- sour cream, optional to serve
- cilantro, optional garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the chicken breasts in a pot along with 1⁄2 an onion and salt and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer until cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the water and let cool slightly. Shred chicken with two forks and set aside.
- Mince the remaining onion and add to the shredded chicken, along with taco seasoning as desire.
- Using a basting brush, paint tortillas (I warmed them up in the toaster oven) with salsa verde. Fill each tortilla with chicken and roll tightly and place in a large casserole dish, seam side down, in a single layer. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and chicken.
- Drench entire pan with 1 cup sauce and sprinkle with crumbled queso fresco.
- Bake, covered in oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and serve with sour cream or additional queso fresco, if desired.