I like an easy dinner on a week night, and this meal did not disappoint. It was simple, could all be done pretty quickly, and provided ample leftovers. I turned Sara Evans on on Pandora, kicked off my heels, and got to cookin’.
- 8 ounces of bowties – Where do you find whole wheat bowtie pasta? I went to 3 grocery stores Sunday. Yes, THREE. I had to take my shoes off when I got home. No whole wheat bowtie pasta in Columbia.
- olive oil
- Italian sausage – I used all 4 links from a pack from Trader Joe’s.
- 2 cloves garlic = 2 spoonfulls from my jar
- 1 t dried oregano
- 1 t fennel
- 1/2 t red chili flakes
- 4 cups kale roughly chopped
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup cheese – I used mozzarella because we had some but the original recipe called for parmesan.
- salt and pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a deep pan heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Remove sausage from casings and add to the pan. Use a wooden spoon to break up the sausage and meat as it browns, 7-9 minutes.
- When sausage is almost completely browned, add garlic, oregano, fennel, and chili flakes. Stir and cook for 30 seconds to release flavors.
- Remove sausage from pan and deglaze pan. I used clean water, but you can use some of the reserved starchy cooking water if you had a head start on the pasta (I did not). Scrape brown bits off the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Add kale to pan along with a pinch of salt and water. Toss sausage bag in and toss until kale is wilted, 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in beans, cheese, and pasta. Heat until warmed through and serve.