After working for 9 hours and hitting two grocery stores, it’s hard sometimes to do everything a recipe requires. Especially when you neglect to read the words “slow cooker” before you buy all of the ingredients. But have no fear, adjustments could be made. I found a great recipe for shredded mexican chicken and corn quinoa bowls I wanted to try. So here’s how to cook it (my way) when you’re still in your stilettos and don’t have everything in the fridge that you thought you did. (Sigh.)
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic – I use scoops from the jar.
- 1 can of corn, drained
- 1/4 cup of cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 bacon strips
- salt and pepper
- Shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 jar salsa
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- Boil chicken until cooked. Shred with fork.
- In the meantime, cook 1 cup of quinoa. Reduce to a simmer until fluffy.
- As quinoa and chicken cook, heat 2 T olive oil in a large pan on medium-high heat. Add in garlic and corn.
- After a few minutes add in cilantro and already cooked bacon, folding into the corn. Season with salt and pepper.
- When finished, mix together quinoa, corn saute, and chicken. Add packet of taco seasoning and salsa.
- Top with some cheese and serve.
I poured my glass of wine while everything was simmering. Dinner turned out delicious and I’m definitely planning to make this again!