I’m really trying to incorporate different vegetables into my menus, despite a fail with artichoke last week. So this week I picked up a bag of brussels sprouts at Trader Joe’s. Annnnnd … they were delicious.
- 1 pint brussels sprouts (about a pound)
- 4 to 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, to coat bottom of pan
- 5 cloves garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Trim bottom of brussels sprouts, and slice each in half top to bottom. Heat oil in cast-iron pan over medium-high heat until it shimmers; put sprouts cut side down in one layer in pan. Put in garlic, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook, undisturbed, until sprouts begin to brown on bottom, and transfer to oven. Cook, shaking pan occasionally, until sprouts are quite brown and tender, about 1/2 hour.
- Taste, and add more salt and pepper if necessary. Stir in balsamic vinegar (I used lavender balsamic vinegar from The Crescent Olive), and serve hot or warm.
I’m definitely making the brussels sprouts again — maybe with some shaved parmesan on them, too. I also served up some chicken tenders, bell peppers, and onions that I seasoned with Sweet Baby Ray’s, dry mustard, onion powder, garlic, salt, and pepper. Easy, healthy, and delicious!