Last night, after taking June “crazy hound” Carter on a run, I took out my headphones and turned the music up in the kitchen.
I started out by prepping sweet potato chips. I have long been struggling with sweet potato chips and fries. I loathe sweet potatoes … but I like them when they’re crunchy. I just can’t seem to do them right at home – but I keep trying!
Here’s the recipe I used this go round. I’m always open to suggestions!
1 medium sweet potato(about 8 ounces), scrubbed
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Heat the oven to 375°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
- Slice the sweet potato into very thin rounds and place in a large bowl. Add the oil, paprika, and salt and toss with your hands until thoroughly coated.
- Place the slices in a single layer on a baking sheet- the rounds can be touching but should not overlap.
- Bake one sheet at a time until the edges of the chips curl up, the centers are just golden brown, and the tops are dry to the touch, about 12 minutes. Place the baking sheet on a wire rack and let the chips cool until crisp, about 3 minutes. (Mine wasn’t this easy so I ended up putting the oven on broil and leaving them in there a little longer.)
We also had turkey burgers for supper! I’ve been trying to find ways to not miss eating dairy and so fancying up burgers was one solution. They were delicious!
1 avocado, pitted, cubed and smashed
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 lb. ground turkey breast
- In a small bowl, combine avocado, sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Stir to combine.
- Separate the mashed avocado mixture into 4 equal portions.
- Separate ground turkey breast into 4 equal portions.
- Place avocado in the middle of each turkey breast portion to cover avocado completely by turkey breast and work into burger patties.
- Grill or pan cook each burger patty until turkey meat is thoroughly cooked.
I served them sans buns with a side of Sweet Baby Ray’s. They were delicious.