I stumbled upon a recipe for fried green tomatoes in Southern Living by accident the other day and immediately started craving a fried green tomato blt. It’s one of those things I have a really hard time turning down when I spot it on a menu.
I immediately started thinking about where I could score some green tomatoes when I decided on heading to Soda City Saturday morning with my fingers crossed. And lucky me, I spotted 3 at one of the vendors and picked them up for $1 a piece. From there, I headed to Trader Joe’s for everything else I needed.
Fried Green Tomatoes
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cormeal – I couldn’t find cornmeal at Trader Joe’s so I substituted cornbread mix and it worked just fine.
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper
3 green tomatoes, cut into 1/3 inch slices
1. Combine egg and buttermilk; set aside.
2. Combine 1/4 cup flour, cornmeal, 1 t salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
3. Dredge tomato slices in remaining 1/4 cup flour; dip in egg mixture, and dredge in cornmeal mixture.
4. Pour oil to a depth of 1/4 to 1/2 inch in a large cast-iron skillet; heat to medium-high heat.
5. Drop tomoatoes, in batches, into hot oil, and cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
6. Drain on paper towels.
Meanwhile, we cooked bacon for the sandwiches. My favorite is Trader Joe’s uncured apple smoked bacon.
To prepare the sandwiches, we toasted 2 slices each of sourdough bread and loaded them up with the fried green tomatoes, romaine lettuce, and bacon. Then we topped them with the sriracha. The sriracha really made the whole sandwich, so don’t skip on the hot sauce!
All around a delicious homemade southern treat. Go try it now!