This morning D had his heart set on making chicken & waffles for a crowd and so I was tasked with making mac & cheese to accompany it. Naturally, I asked Reagan for a recipe since I knew she’d been making it pretty frequently and experimenting – nay, perfecting – her craft.
Here’s what I ended up making – x 2. Shall I re-emphasize “crowd”?
2 cups dry elbow macaroni
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded smoked Gouda cheese
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Cayenne pepper, because I use it on most everything
1. Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease casserole dish.
2. Boil and drain macaroni according to directions.
3. In sauce pan, add the cheddar cheese and gouda cheese, evaporated milk, salt and pepper. Stir until combined.
4. Meanwhile, cook bacon. Crumble and add to sauce pan once combined.
5. Pour into dish with macaroni. Add cheese and cayenne pepper to top. Cover tightly with foil.
6. Bake for 20 mins. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until lightly brown.