“Later that day I got to thinking about relationships. There are those that open you up to something new and exotic, those that are old and familiar, those that bring up lots of questions, those that bring you somewhere unexpected, those that bring you far from where you started, and those that bring you back. But the most exciting, challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you can find someone to love the you you love, well, that’s just fabulous.” – Carrie Bradshaw
Last night, in my cable and internet free home, I sat in my room listening to the sounds of frogs and ducks and whatever there may be contributing to the chorus of a forest outside of my bedroom window. I’d been thinking a lot lately about how big this year has been for me, how happy I’ve been. And how much I have to show for it, even. I am the happiest I have ever been. Life’s not perfect. But it feels pretty damn perfect.
Last night, in the silence, I was thinking over the weekend and how there are things I get out of so many people that I didn’t even get in my last relationship. Every day I’m learning about new things to expect, to hope for, to not settle without.
1. I want someone who laughs at my obscure jokes.
2. If I ask a stupid question, I want someone who will answer it. Someone who will be understanding of my forgetfulness and respectful of my desire to know things about random topics like minor league baseball and chemistry and greek mythology.
3. I want someone who uses correct grammar. All the time.
4. I don’t care if you have a beard (swoon) or a mustache (gooo) or what have you. I want someone with a face that I can stand to look into for a long time, with eyes that I can see into, and who doesn’t mind me looking all the time.
5. I want someone who loves me so much he loves everyone around me too. My friends and my family and even my boss, on the good days and the bad days with each of them. I want that somebody to want to spend time with my somebodies. Because they’re the ones who are always there for me.